Sometimes, it’s best to refresh by bringing it back to the basics. Here are some tried and tested ways to help you prepare for that important day.
Know your resume
- This really can’t be stressed enough. Your resume is likely what got you the interview in the first place. Being sure to go over this and being able to speak intelligently about your experience will greatly increase your chances of wowing the interviewers.
Review the job description
- Depending on how much time you have to prepare, start thinking of examples of where you worked with each aspect of the job description and what you did.
- Honesty is still the best policy! If you have any weaknesses in your experience, be honest about them. The hiring manager will appreciate your transparency, and you never want to get caught in a lie.
Do your research
- Properly preparing for your interview will mean doing a little bit of research.
- Start by looking up the company and their product lines. This will help you be able to bring meaningful examples of your experience to light and show your interest in the company.
- Look up who you’ll you be speaking with on LinkedIn. Doing digital research will likely be able to infer the direction the conversation will take.
- While waiting in the office reception area, pick up and read any company literature left around. Doing so will show your interest in the company and prepare you for any discussion points.
Last but not least, have a great smile and fresh look! That is, be presentable – it will not only make you look good, but will allow you to feel good as well. Here’s a tip: Laying out your clothes the night before ensures the day runs smoothly. Also, don’t forget to get to bed early and start your day with a coffee or whatever routine gets you off to the best start!
Whatever you do to help you prepare, try to avoid getting too stressed out about the interview. Putting in the necessary research and preparation will help you knock it out of the park and get the job (done).
About the author
Julina Throop is a technical recruitment specialist for Procom Consultants Group in Ottawa, Canada. In her role, Julina works to match candidates with opportunities primarily within IT and Professional Services. For further information or career opportunities, you can reach her at email@example.com.